Repair Or Align A Deviated Septum With Septoplasty
A septoplasty is a surgical treatment used to correct a deviated septum, a functional issue that occurs when the wall between the two nostrils (the septum) loses form, function, or symmetry within the two nasal cavities. Cartilage and bone of the septum may become crooked or deviated, leading to improper breathing, headaches, postnasal drip, sinus infections, and even nosebleeds. As a double-board certified facial surgeon, Dr. Nima is a leading provider of septoplasty procedures and has helped countless Beverly Hills patients remedy structural irregularities in one or both nasal cavities to improve airflow and eliminate any adverse symptoms related to a deviated septum.
Symptoms Of A Deviated Septum
While it is nearly impossible for a patient to see their own crooked or off-centered septum, they will notice various symptoms arise. Primary symptoms of a deviated septum include:
- Anterior or posterior nosebleeds where blood flows to stomach, resulting in nausea or vomiting
- Facial pain when a severely deviated septum causes inner surfaces of the nose to touch and cause pressure
- Trouble breathing due to obstruction of one or both nostrils
- Noisy, interrupted, or uncomfortable sleep due to swelling of the intranasal tissues
- Nasal cycle awareness, where a patient is aware of air obstruction from one nostril to the next
- Recurring sinus infections, headaches, dry mouth, or postnasal drippage
Is A Septoplasty Right For You?
Septoplasty for a deviated septum is perfect for:
- Patients looking to improve their breathing through the opening of nasal passages
- Patients who want to restore a sense of taste and smell due to nasal blockage
- Patients looking to improve sleep health by increasing maximum airflow with septoplasty
- Patients looking to decrease the occurrence of sinus infections, nosebleeds, postnasal drip, or improper breathing
- Patients who suffer nasal deformities or deviated septum from a broken or injured nose
- Patients who are mentally, physically, and mentally ready to withstand septoplasty
- Patients who have suffered from physical or drug usage injury leading to a deviated septum
- Patients who have had a deviated septum since birth due to incomplete fetal development
Dr. Nima regularly performs septoplasty procedures to address deviated septums and help improve everything from sleeping and breathing to exercise tolerance. A septoplasty is a precise procedure that involves straightening and correcting the nasal septum to optimize airflow.
Before your procedure, you will be administered either general or local anesthesia by one of our experienced anesthesiologists to ensure you are comfortable during surgery. Once you are relaxed, Dr. Nima will make a small incision within the nasal captivity to access your cartilage.
If your septoplasty is more complicated or you combine it with a rhinoplasty, Dr. Nima may follow an open rhinoplasty approach that involves making the incisions across the columella.
Once Dr. Nima has clear access to your septum, your nasal mucosal lining—the membrane that covers the septum’s surface—is delicately lifted away from the septum to prevent any tears or holes.
Then, he will carefully address your deviated septum by removing bone and/or cartilage. Once he has achieved optimal results, your incisions are closed, and you are moved to our luxurious recovery room until the anesthesia wears off.
The Septoplasty Recovery Process
Septoplasty patients usually return home the same day. After discharge, they should allow sutures within the nose to dissolve on their own and can expect to leave splints in place for up to 2-weeks. Some nasal swelling, mild bruising, and drainage are to be expected.
Recovery can be accelerated by elevating the head while sleeping and not blowing the nose for at least two weeks after surgery. It is also advised not to participate in intensive physical activity for two weeks to decrease the chance of heavy bleeding. In time, septoplasty patients will find that breathing is easier, and their quality of life has improved drastically.
Eos Rejuvenation is dedicated to ensuring our patients feel comfortable in every stage of the septoplasty process. In a post-op visit, Dr. Nima will explain in-depth the steps necessary to heal and cover any specific questions you have about the recovery process.
Why Choose Dr. Nima?
“Dr. Nima and his staff went above and beyond!! I’ve received so many compliments..all thanks to Dr. Nima and his staff. I’d highly recommend them to friends and family and will definitely be going back.”